Thursday 15 August 2013

Stephen Fry backs gay Russian TV presenter sacked after coming out

Stephen Fry has revealed his support for a Russian TV presenter who was fired after coming out as gay live on air.

Fry tweeted that 37-year-old Anton Krasovsky is "a brave man" and told the world: "Don't let Russia off the hook on this one."



BAFTA Ceremony: Stephen Fry hosts the ceremony.

© Stephen Butler/BAFTA/Rex Features






Anton Krasovsky


Krasovsky was presenting on cable network KontrTV earlier this year when he announced: "I'm gay, and I'm just the same person as you, my dear audience, as President Putin, as Prime Minister Medvedev and the deputies of our Duma."


However, the TV host was sacked the same night, while videos of the announcement were deleted from YouTube and the KontrTV website.




Krasovsky, who is now unemployed after helping to launch KontrTV, later told The Independent: "'I have made a lot of money in television and I understood that I'd lose everything. But I also understood that I couldn't do anything else.

"I didn't do it so that I would get hundreds of likes on my Facebook page. I did it because I wanted them to hear it in the Kremlin. And they heard it, and were surprised."


The country's anti-gay laws have come under the spotlight recently. Fry has asked David Cameron to back a campaign to stop the 2014 Winter Olympics taking place in Russia.








via All - Digital Spy - Entertainment and Media News

0 comments:

Post a Comment