Friday 28 March 2014

Kid Ink Explains How 'Show Me' 'Went Crazy'... And Platinum


Earlier this week, Kid Ink reached a milestone that plenty dream about, but few ever achieve: a platinum-selling single.


"It's brand new and exciting coming from an independent spot; it's one of those goals," the Los Angeles rapper told MTV News about the success of his hit, "Show Me" featuring Chris Brown. "To get a platinum plaque was definitely the next step for me in my career, and I try to do something big every year. The next goal is getting this one to double platinum, or another platinum record."


The single, which was officially released in September, has been steadily climbing the charts in the months since. It currently sits at #6 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.


Ink, whose major-label debut, My Own Lane, dropped on RCA in January, doesn't plan to let the achievement get the best of him. "I was in the studio, and I just happened to ask about the sales on the single," he said of how he heard the news about the song, which samples the '90s Robin S. hit "Show Me Love." "I went right into the booth right after I found out."


Meanwhile, the track's producer, DJ Mustard, recently told MTV News that he actually came up with the idea for the beat while overseas. "We went to Germany, and I was hanging out with some DJ ... he was like, 'You should tap into the house music,'" Mustard said, adding that he was at first hesitant, but later came around.


"So many people was copying my style, and I was kind of like, 'Damn, where do I go? What do I do now?,'" the producer recalled. "When I got back to L.A., I found that sound [on "Show Me"]. So, my lil bro, his name's Mike Lee, he's signed to me as a producer, he came up with the [melody]. He came with that, and I did the drums, and I gave it to Kid Ink. Then I called TeeFlii, and TeeFlii wrote that and killed it, then gave it to Chris, and it just went crazy from there."


The trio of Ink, Brown and Mustard linked up once again for "Main Chick," also from My Own Lane, which is being pushed as a follow-up single.


As for the pressure that comes with the platinum plaque? Ink seems to be handling it just fine.


"Of course it's a pressure," he said. "But the pressure makes me work harder."







via MTV News

0 comments:

Post a Comment