Sunday 30 March 2014

Patrick Brennan joins Marvel's Agents of SHIELD as iconic villain

Patrick Brennan is guest starring as an iconic comic book villain in Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 actor is slated to play Blackout in season one's 18th episode 'Providence', which will also star Amy Acker as Agent Coulson's former love.



Patrick Brennan in Agents of SHIELD


Patrick Brennan in Marvel's Agents of SHIELD






Amy Acker on Agents of SHIELD stint: 'I definitely want to come back'

Acker will be portraying a cellist, whose kindness and musical talent brings some light to the dark soul of Blackout.


Brennan's portrayal of Blackout will differ slightly from the comics, in that this live-action version will have the power to absorb the energy of anything around him.


The actor teased to Marvel that Blackout's acts of violence are rooted in his own personal misery.


"This guy, Marcus Daniels, aka Blackout, was shrouded in darkness, his soul, everything about him was shrouded in darkness until he comes across this cello player," Brennan explained.


"The music was the only light that came into his soul, and it gave him hope and it gave him some sense of what light was."


He continued: "I thought to myself, 'Oh my god, you don't even need to explain anything else'. Because music, to me, is what gets me through most of the time.


"My kids, my wife and music. That aspect of it totally intrigued me. I thought that was quite beautiful and very interesting, that aspect of the character."



Amy Acker in Marvel's Agents of SHIELD


Amy Acker in Marvel's Agents of SHIELD






Marvel's Agents of SHIELD teases Captain America crossover episode

Brennan added that he was determined to bring a certain sympathy to his version of Blackout.


"I think that the key to approaching any villain [is], it's much more impactful when the audience can see some shred of good in the quote-unquote villain," the actor said.


"I was watching Scarface last night, and he was a monster. But there are certain scenes in the movie where it shows that he has compassion, it shows that he has a soul, and then you're on his side, and when he dies at the end, you're heartbroken."


The star went on to say: "Why would you be heartbroken about someone who kills people, deals drugs, and does all these horrible things? Because you see the other side of him too, and I think it's true with people. People aren't all bad or all good. I think that's what I love about the character.


"You can see the heart in him. He wasn't just a monster - which is a beautiful thing to play. I wouldn't know how to play it all bad anyway. I'd have to find something in him, do you know what I mean?"


Blackout is merely the latest in a string of Marvel characters to feature in upcoming episodes of Agents of SHIELD, with Glenn Talbot (Adrian Pasdar) and Eric Koenig (Patton Oswalt) both set to debut soon.


Marvel's Agents of SHIELD returns with all-new episodes beginning on Tuesday (April 1) at 8pm on ABC in the US.


Channel 4 broadcasts the series on Fridays at 8pm in the UK.








via All - Digital Spy - Entertainment and Media News

0 comments:

Post a Comment