Sunday 30 March 2014

Union J's Jaymi: 'Proposing at the Vatican is two fingers up to Pope'

Jaymi Hensley has spoken about his upcoming wedding to partner Olly Marmon.

The Union J singer previously said that he would marry Marmon in a Christmas wedding in December. The pair have been together for over five years.



Jaymi Hensley of Union J performs on stage during day one of the Fusion Festival at Cofton Park, Birmingham.




Speaking to Attitude's Love & Marriage special, he said of popping the question: "It was so romantic. We'd been together about 18 months and thought I'd treat Olly to a trip to Rome for our first Christmas.

"I decided to do it at the Trevi fountain. But just as I was about to get down on one knee, two things happened. One, the thought I was in a Catholic country that doesn't really approve of gay marriages started to niggle me, and then this guy next me got down on one knee and proposed to his girlfriend and stole my thunder. I was gutted.


"On our way back to the hotel, we walked through the Vatican and sat down for a minute by the fountains. And then I thought to myself there's no-one here, just us and a choir singing somewhere in the background. It was an amazing setting and also I liked the fact that it was a two fingers up at the Pope. So I proposed and he said yes."


The singer said that the rest of Union J will be involved in the ceremony.



Union J perform 'Beethoven'.





He explained: "I am a bit of a control freak. It's going to be camp. What I love about getting married is that we will be legally married like everyone else. Not a civil ceremony. We can completely do the wedding the way we want it. My brother will be best man. The boys will be involved in some way too. We are planning ten bridesmaids, ten ushers and our two best men."

Hensley, who came out while taking part in The X Factor, added that he thinks some straight celebrities make up gay experiences.


"I hope the people who say they have been with men aren't just trying to cash in on the cult of being gay," he said. "'Ah, so you're alternative that you've been with boys'. But the good thing is, these high profile stars are putting sexuality out there.


"What I am looking forward to is one day labels are dropped. That it won't be 'Oh meet gay coupe Olly and Jaymi'. It'll be just 'meet Olly and Jaymi'. But we're getting there."


Attitude's Love and Marriage is available at WH Smiths and on iPad version via the Attitude app on Apple store.


Watch the music video for Union J's 'Beautiful Life' below:








via All - Digital Spy - Entertainment and Media News

0 comments:

Post a Comment